Diabetics need to take extra precautions when traveling as changes in activity levels, time zones, and meal times can have a significant impact on blood sugar levels. It is important to plan ahead, ensuring that whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, you can focus on what matters, rather than worrying about potential problems. Before you leave on your next trip make sure you are prepared. Preparation is the key to preventing frightening health scares and reducing travel anxieties.
- Discuss your travel plans with your primary care provider. Have your provider prepare a formal letter explaining that you have diabetes, which can be used in case of emergency.
- Arrange to have twice as many medical supplies as you anticipate needing, including prescriptions. You never know if your travel will be extended unexpectedly. (Just recently, many people were stuck in Europe for more than a week due to the Icelandic volcano eruption!)
- We often walk more when traveling, so make sure you have appropriate diabetic shoes and socks. Long car or airplane rides will be made more comfortable with a pair of quality compression stockings.
- Inform any airlines, cruise ships, tour guides and conference planners that you are diabetic and ensure your meal requirements will be met.
- Stow medicine and supplies in your carry-on luggage, as checked luggage can be lost and medicines can be damaged by extreme temperatures in the cargo area. Also, keep your prescription on your person throughout your stay.
- If your travel destination requires certain immunizations, make sure to have these done at least 4 weeks prior to travel and many of these types of shots can have an impact on blood sugar levels.
- Always wear medical identification that clearly states that you are diabetic.
- Always carry some sort of sugar in case you suddenly experience hypoglycemia, which is more likely when you experience changes in activity and meal schedule.
- Have the right documentation on hand, including your doctor’s name and number, as well as addresses and maps to local health care facilities.
About MMAR Medical Group: MMAR Medical Group Inc. is a wholesale distributor of comfort footwear offering a wide selection of shoes for diabetics as well as custom made orthotics. Please visit www.mmarmedical.com for more information.