Diabetes – especially Type 2 Diabetes - can easily go undiagnosed because the symptoms are often deceiving slight, rarely disrupting day-to-day life. If you are at risk for Type 2 Diabetes, it is important to be awareness of pre-diabetes symptoms. Early detection can help minimize the effects of diabetes and, if followed with proper treatment, may even lead to full reversal of the condition.
You are particularly at risk of Type 2 Diabetes if you are overweight, inactive, over 45 years of age, have high blood pressure or cholesterol, and/or have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes. Unfortunately many pre-diabetics do not experience distinguishable symptoms, but there are a few noteworthy symptoms to look out for if you are at risk.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should visit your doctor immediately.
- Increased thirst accompanied by frequent urination: One of the more common symptoms of diabetes development, you may experience an increased, even insatiable thirst as well as an increased need to urinate. This is because your body is pulling water out of your bloodstream which leads to systematic dehydration.
- Increased fatigue and exhaustion: As insulin decreases, it becomes difficult for the cells in the bloodstream to properly moderate blood sugar, which can lead to a constant feeling of exhaustion.
- Blurred vision: High blood sugar levels diabetes can cause the lens of the eye to swell leading to blurred vision. Full blown diabetics run a higher risk of developing cataracts, glaucoma and retinopathy.
- Lingering cuts and infections: Diabetics often develop thin skin and poor circulation, which in turn can lead to cuts or infections that just won’t go away. This issue is especially prevalent in the hands and feet, which explains the critical importance of diabetic shoes and a comprehensive diabetic skin care regimen.
- Acanthosis nigricans (Dark, thick, velvety skin in body folds and creases): This skin condition is especially common on the neck, elbows, knees, knuckles and armpits, this skin. While it does not necessarily indicate that you are developing diabetes, it can be a highly visible and noteworthy warning sign.
About MMAR Medical Group: MMAR Medical Group Inc. is a supplier of medical products including a wide selection of diabetic footwear as well as medical grade braces and supports. To find a quality hinged knee brace, wrist brace, lumbar brace or other quality brace, please visit MMAR Medical online.